The perfume

Following in the traces of the book "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Aubigny not Aubagne

As I checked out of the hotel on my way to Aubigny, not Aubagne as I wrote previously, which is in Provence, I thought I might as well throw the "velo rail" question on the receptionist. After all, it would be fun to try a cyclo dressin. The receptionist knew about it. I had to check with the town hall, he said, for details. I went to the town hall, and as I entered the reception there, I could feel the excitement rise. Would this be the end of the "velo rail" quest? I asked my usual question, telling her (the receptionist) I had been sent there by the hotel to get the details about velo rail. As I observed the face of the person behind the counter, I suddenly realized where the designer of the question mark had found his or her inspiration.

When you work in an information counter, I am sure you take some pride into being able to answer any question. And here, not only a stranger asked about something she obviously felt she should know about, someone in town had told me to go there, meaning the town expected her to know about it.

After some seconds, she asked me vaguely "do you mean the cyclo dressin?"

Boy, not only was it clear the velo rail brand marking had failed. Two middle managers had obviously ridden their horses to the bitter end. The map makers and the people on the ground clearly had a communication problem.

As I nodded affirmatively to her, she said I had to go to the railway station on sundays.

"So, you can only do cyclo dressin on sundays?", I asked.

"And saturdays.", she answered...

I suddenly felt like a criminal investigator. As I had repeated the subjects answer to her, she changed her explanation.

"What about wednesdays?", I asked, telling her about the strange noise the old ladies heard every wednesday. The receptionist shook her head, obviously on solid ground now. It was only open on saturdays and sundays.

As I was leaving the town hall, I nearly felt like leaving my card, for her to call, if she should feel like changing her explanation, or any new information should turn up.

I have decided to double check her story in Aubigny.