The perfume

Following in the traces of the book "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Comparison

If you compare my expedition with one of, lets say, Lars Monsens expeditions, you could say I have some slight advantages. Regular bakeries where I can buy fresh baguettes and pain au chocolat (which I've just eaten three of by the way). Frequent restaurants where I can get cheap four course meals. Etc. Etc.

But! Lars Monsen has one important advantage. He can stink. And no one will notice. So he can bring less clothes. Therefore, to even out things, I just sent most of my clothes home by mail. After all, I am in a farmers region, and I hope the local population will take me for a farmer should things get to bad.

On the camping spot yesterday, there was an englishman next to me (btw. I've changed subject now, i.e. I am not talking about stinking anymore). He was bicycling through large parts of France. I told him about my blisters and how people had told me to rather bicycle instead of walking. He said he had got problems with his knees on his way, so he wasn't so sure about that. That helped!

Luckily I have a tent now. The good thing about having a tent is that you can stop for some days, healing your wounds without being ruined. I pay 6.50€ a day at the camp site, whereas the cheapest hotel I have seen has been 27€.

If anyone feels like walking in France is something they would like to do, I will soon post an article giving you the basic information you need. Meanwhile, the best advise is to start walking to make your feet accustomed!