The perfume

Following in the traces of the book "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Crow

Todays walk went from Ch.neuf sur Loire to Sully sur Loire. On the way, I past through St.Benoit sur Loire. Unfortunately, the ambiance and the perles I have found so far seem to be inversely related to the size of the church or castle in town. So, I went through St.Benoit sur Loire faster than the time it takes to pronounce the word St.Benoit. Sully sur Loire has a big castle, so I expect the worse. For the moment, I've settled down in the camping site on the other side of the river. The camping prices have varied between 5.60€ and 6.16€ for a tent and one person so far.

On the way through a nature reserve not far from here, suddenly a crow was jumping on the path in front of me. After a closer look, I could see that one of it's feet was entangled in a piece of wire. I first thought the crow, being intelligent as it is, tried to show me the wire, asking for me to remove it. But when I approached it, it started screaming more like what sounded like "stay away" to me. It seemed to me I had several options. 1.Leave it alone and let nature play its role. 2.Kill it. 3.Torture it, and then kill it. 4.Help it. I chose the last option. Finally, years of television watching was going to bear fruits. I first broke of a branch shaped as a V in the end from one of the trees in the protected forest. With this, I immobilized the crow. Then, I used my Carrefour raincoat as padding, keeping it still with my elbow. I have to admit I was afraid of making things worse, the birds leg looking quite sensitive compared to the stiff wire. But, I got it of in the end (the wire that is). I put the crow back on the path, and for a moment I thought I could read in it's eyes:"Why didn't you just kill me?" But a few minutes later, it flew of, and lived happily ever after. Hopefully it won't be overrun by a car to soon, so my valiant efforts have not been in complete vain. Well, that was todays sunshine story. It's dinner time now, and I will go over on the other side of the river and see if I can find myself some chicken...