The perfume

Following in the traces of the book "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.

Monday, May 30, 2005

Evaux les bains

Yesterday, I went to St.Amand Montrond. I camped there and went to see the city. They had a book festival on, which meant that a lot of authors, known and unknown, presented their books. I bought very few books. None actually. I didn't want to add more weight to my backpack.

It rained tonight, and the temperature has fallen to 20 degrees. It feels ice cold after having had 35 degrees for some days now, but it will be good for walking. I am on my way to Evaux les bains now, to do just that. Walk. I stopped in Montlucon to buy sandals. Most shops are closed here on mondays, but luckily Decathlon, a big french sport shop, was open.

They had sandals. There was even a special poster advertising for a good offer on randonne (hiking) sandals. The poster listed all the fabulous characteristics. And the price? 16.90€ It was too good to be true. Literally. Seconds after I had put a pair in my basket, a man came and asked if I needed help. I said I was buying hiking sandals. He called up their shoe expert,and she looked shocked when I told her I was planning to use the 'special offer sandals' for hiking. Instead, she said, I should rather buy a pair of these, and showed me a page in their catalogue with shoes with especially good air flow.

I agreed with her that they looked really good.

"So, do you have those?", I asked.

"No, we do not have any of those.", she replied.

I ended up buying a pair of sandals four times more expensive than the ones I had originally picked out.