The perfume

Following in the traces of the book "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Foret de Orleans

Tonight I slept in the forest of Orleans. It was a quite cold night, probably because of the clear sky. I did a few kilometres yesterday too. Around 27. Stopped every 5 km and enjoyed the sun.The weather was real good yesterday, and it looks good today too. Tomorrow though, I've heard a thunderstorm is coming in. The path yesterday was Pithiviers-Escrennes-Mareau aux bois-Chateau de Chamerolles-Foret dom. d'Orleans. The latter place is the forest outside Orleans.I put my tent up next to a small lake there.

On the way yesterday I passed by a farm. The owner was working alongside the path, and we started talking.It turned out one of their sons had moved to Oslo three weeks ago to finish his studies at the "chambre de commerce" there. They invited me in and offered me refreshments and food. Afterwards they showed me pictures they had received from their son from the 17th of may celebration in Oslo! The world is indeed getting smaller and smaller (unless you are walking...)! They also showed me around the farm. A nice break in the walking. Thankyou for your hospitality!

It felt nice to come out of the forest.The trees were so high and so interconnected that no sun could come through. Only on the roads, that were made for the purpose of getting wood out of there, could I stop for a sparse moment to let the sunrays warm my cold skin from the night. Once I finally got out to Sully la Chapelle, I could imagine how it must have been in the old times, when the wood was even bigger, and open populated fields were rare.Not to talk about the possibility of getting lost!

Today is an important day. Although I want to take my time and not press on too much, I can feel that it is satisfactory everytime I can make a new fold in the map... I just entered the bottom of the map! But don't worry, the story is not over yet - there are more maps in my backpack...