The perfume

Following in the traces of the book "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Heat

It was really hot today, around 30 degrees celsius. I carried 3 l of water with me, since both the part before and the part after lunch went through unhabitated areas. It mainly went through pinewood. It's incredible how pinewood seems to heat the air even more.

I started in Aubigny and stopped in Ménétréol-sur-Sauldre to have lunch. I was lucky, there was a small restaurant with the usual menu. Then I continued on to Neuvy-sur-Barangeon. Normally, when a town is called 'sur' something, it is because the town is lying beside a river. So, both Sauldre and Barangeon are rivers.

It's paradise for insects where I've ended up. Hot, no wind, humid. And the masks in the mostiquo net on my tent seems to be big enough to let the smallest ones in. I know these guys. They are going to eat my skin! I've closed the main net now. Hopefully that will stop most of them.