The perfume

Following in the traces of the book "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.

Monday, May 16, 2005

Malesherbes

Yesterday I walked from Etampes to Ornoy la Riviere and then to Valpuiseaux. The day before, I had bought a tent and an inflateable mattress at Carrefour Etampes, which I put up now in a beautiful field only accompanied by she sound of grasshoppers and the sun, setting over the fields I had just walked through. After a small evening meal, I fell asleep. Later in the night, I was awaken again, by the sound of the rain hitting my tent! It didn't look good for the next day walking. However, in the morning the rain stopped, and it hasn't rained all day. I am now in Malesherbes, after having passed through Champmotteux and Boigneville. I decided to try to find a room here, to dry my shoes which are quite wet after walking in wet grass from yesterdays rain. However, both the hotels in town were full! Disappointed, I decided to at least have a nice warm lunch at the Hotel de la gare, which had been recommended to me. A four meal lunch that tasted perfect with wine included for 10,10€ is incredible! And, as things turned out, there had been a double booking, which means I now can go upstairs to have a shower in a room, which will be appreciated by me and the other guests in the restaurant I think!