The perfume

Following in the traces of the book "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Mystery solved

I am in Aubigny now. When I went to the tourist office, what was gleaming at me? The "velo rail" brochure! It even has its own web site, www.velorailsdefrance.com, and there are twenty two different trajectories to be done in different regions all over France. But the receptionist in Argent was right, it can only be done in the weekends, at least the one that goes between Argent and Aubigny.

Aubigny seems to have an interesting story. They call it the scottish town because it was on scottish hands for many years! I just asked the bar man, and he told me the french gave the area to the scottish, so they could protect it against the english during the 100 year war. I will look closer into this the next hours. It looks like a beautiful town, well worth spending a night in!