The perfume

Following in the traces of the book "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Pierrefort

As we descended towards Pierrefort yesterday, a town a bit east of Aurillac, I suddenly felt a strain in the muscle supporting the knee in my left thigh. We were maybe 12 km from Pierrefort. So, we entered the town with me leaning on a stick. Luckily, it seems that I just needed some rest. I've never walked continuously for such a long period of time in my life, so I guess I am experiencing what the professional athletes do, when they train more than the body can take.

My GPS tells me I have walked approximately 600 km the last 30 days. But we are close to the end now. From Pierrefort, the main figure in the perfume went by horse and carriage to Montpelier. We are going by train due to the scarce availability of horses and carriages.

Yesterday, in Pierrefort, we found a very nice hotel in the center of town. It had a restaurant, and the meal was just like you can expect from the french. Perfect.

Most hikers in this region do not go to Pierrefort. Partly because there are no tracks going there and partly because there is no or few public transportation possibilities. This morning we told the bartender in the cafe, where we had breakfast, that we were going to Montpelier, but that we did not know how.

He told us the local petanque team was going to St. Flour half an hour later, where we could take the train to Montpelier. Maybe they would have space for us?

As the petanque team gathered, we noticed one of the team members. A beautiful french woman, a bit younger than us, in a fancy renault scenic off road car.

10 minutes later, we were sitting in a Fiat Panda, belonging to the oldest man in the team.

Anyway, that's how it works here. You tell people what your problem is, and they help you out.

We're waiting for the train to Montpelier now.